The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Action to Control HIV Epidemic through Evidence (ACHIEVE) funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a 5- year project currently implemented in FCT, Nasarawa, Katsina and Rivers States. Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
The Health Informatics unit of the department of Strategic Information is responsible for implementing information systems that will support IHVN’s public health interventions at the central, facility and community levels.
The role of the Health Informatics Officer will be to support the implementation of health informatics solutions, support the testing and deployment of new solutions and providing feedback on solutions for updates, enhancements and also to improve the efficiencies in line with our very dynamic public health program needs.
FCT, Katsina State
Health Informatics Lead
Opening Date: 7th January 2022
Closing Date: 21st January 2022
The Program Officer – Health Informatics will support the development, deployment, update, users training, troubleshooting of electronic health information systems or mobile application solutions deployed for program implementation at supported facilities and communities.
- Develop and deploy Health Information Systems at supported facilities or communities (NMRS module and other health information systems).
- Support already deployed Health Information Systems at facility/community level. (Training, Technical support, troubleshooting, updating and issue reporting).
- Ensure that all EMR modules are fully supported and in use at all times.
- Support upload of data from the EMR into the National Data Repository on a weekly basis.
- Ensure that standard processes and protocols are adhered to at facility level in the deployment of Health Information Systems (Routine backup, Weekly NDR uploads, Confidentiality and Privacy Protocols, Governance and Accountability Frameworks).
- Routine reporting to the Team Lead on the status of Health Informatics Interventions at facility and community level.
- Provide feedback on new/enhanced health information systems deployment, routine upgrades, and new requirements to the central team.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the HI Lead and the Director of Strategic Information.
- Degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Information Technology.
- A master’s degree in Information systems, Computer Science or a relevant degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 4 years’ experience working with, deploying and supporting Open MRS or other information systems in a public health program environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience supporting information systems like Open MRS, DHIS2, Nigeria Medical Record System, ODK Collect, and Lab Information Systems.
- Experience working with MySQL Community Server, Apache Tomcat, war files and Java Web Applications.
- Experience working with XML and JSON data encoding formats.
- Experience in working with Ubuntu OS and Linux environments.
- Understanding of HIV AIDS performance indicators and reporting processes.
- Experience supporting Mobile or Web Applications for public health programs implementation will be an added advantage.
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation processes will be an added advantage
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office package applications especially Excel and Access, use of google docs will be an added advantage
- Team player with ability to work with minimal supervision
- Have a supportive attitude towards processes of strengthening local partners and building local capacities
- Be willing to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially primary stakeholders
- Flexibility, willing to travel and work during weekends
The following certifications and ability to demonstrate technical capacity will be an added advantage
- Java Certification (OCPJP, OCPWCD, etc.)
- Linux Certification
- SQL or Database Certifications
- Health IT Certification
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: email@example.com
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.