The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, research, capacity building, and care and support services.
The Impact of Non-B HIV-1 Subtype on second-line Protease Inhibitor Regimens in Africa (INSPIRE) project is one of the research projects being implemented by the Institute. INSPIRE seeks to identify factors that predict virological failure among patients with Protease Inhibitor (PI) containing regimens.
To execute this project, IHVN is seeking suitable and qualified candidates to fill in the position of a Research Assistant.
The Research Assistant, INSPIRE NIH R01 – 1R01AI147331-01, will take part in the research and routine analytical work in the virology section. S/he will be involved in receipt of samples and reagents, keeping of sample inventory, and documentation of laboratory processes. The Assistant is to follow Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) and safety guidelines and other duties as assigned by the Head of the Unit to whom she/he will report.
- Select and label samples in preparation for testing.
- Maintain all laboratory records.
- Document all activities, results and report to laboratory management.
- Clean and sterilize equipment and work area.
- Undertake basic administrative tasks such as filing.
- Comply with the correct procedures, policies, and health and safety regulations.
- Participate in the execution of targets within agreed time lines.
- Follow methodologies and standard operating procedures in carrying out assigned tasks.
- Stay informed with the latest industry trends, techniques, and best practices.
Qualifications and Skills
- Computer literacy and experience with Laboratory Information Systems.
- Accuracy and close attention to detail.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work for timely completion.
- degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Microbiology or related field.
Opening Date: 15th May, 2020.
Closing Date: 29th May, 2020.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.