The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis (TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The TB-LON 3 Project is a USAID-funded Award that is a revolutionary program working with communities, facilities and relevant state and national structures to improve access to TB case finding, diagnosis, treatment and notification in Lagos, Ogun, Osun and Oyo States; as well as increase domestic financing for TB and strengthen surveillance and integrated reporting across four result areas:
- Improved access to high-quality, person-centered TB treatment, DR-TB, and TB/HIV services for a cumulative number of at least 106,576 persons for the life of the activity.
- Strengthened systems and structures for TB detection, treatment and notification with TB service delivery platforms strengthened
- TB disease transmission and progression reduced
- TB research and innovations accelerated with improved impact on program implementation.
The TB-LON 3 Project is implemented by a consortium with Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) as the Prime Recipient, Society for Family Health as the Sub-Recipient and other Implementing Entities.
Purpose of the Assignment
The purpose of this short-term consultancy is to support the TB-LON 3 Project in Lagos State and the Lagos State TB Program in general, to apply evidence informed implementation science to find the missing TB cases. It is also to innovatively engage all stakeholders to increase the detection of drug sensitive tuberculosis (DS-TB) and drug resistant tuberculosis (DR-TB), and to treat and ensure appropriate notification to the National TB Program.
Scope of Consultancy
- Support Lagos TB-LON 3 and Lagos State TB Program in analyzing the current situation of TB Case finding.
- Provide technical support in designing interventions that will lead to finding the missing TB cases.
- Engage national, state and local government TB programs, donor agencies as well as other stakeholders in filling identified resource and capacity gaps in the implementation of active TB Case finding strategies.
- Collaborate with WHO, Lagos State TB Program and other Implementing Partners in strengthening TB surveillance.
- Mentor State, LGA and Implementing Partners staff and support capacity building to improve TB programming.
- Participate in state, Local Government Area (LGA) and facility monitoring and mentoring to strengthen the TB Program.
- Facilitate experience sharing amongst Lagos State TB Program and other TB Implementing Partners.
Duration: Six months contract
Reporting Channels: The consultant reports to the Chief of Party TB-LON 3 Project.
- First degree in Medicine and Surgery, Public Health, Epidemiology and Health program planning and management.
- Master’s or higher degree in Public Health or Community Medicine preferred.
- At least 25 years of professional experience in the Nigerian health sector, with a comprehensive understanding of the Nigerian public health system and experience working in National or State TB Programs.
- Knowledge of the TB epidemiological situation in the State.
- Strong familiarity with innovations and trends in TB response in Nigeria and globally.
- Demonstrable diplomacy skills to work effectively and harmoniously across donor agencies, WHO, Implementing Partners and other local and international organizations.
- Strong coordination, planning, and supervisory skills.
- Strong networking and representational skill.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English as well as presentation skills.
- Self-motivated with a strong ability to identify and develop relevant areas of work
- Able to communicate complex issues in a concise, accessible and engaging manner.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: email@example.com
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Opening Date: 1st July, 2021
Closing Date: 15th July, 2021