The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Action to Control HIV Epidemic through Evidence (ACHIEVE) funded by the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is a 5- year project currently implemented in FCT, Nasarawa, Katsina and Rivers States. Implementation is targeted at achieving epidemic control thereby reducing transmission and improving the quality of life of those living with HIV.
The Monitoring and Evaluation unit is responsible for the collection, collation, reporting and use of data within the ACHIEVE program. The unit is also responsible for generating high quality data, implementing M&E processes at all levels and collaborating with relevant stakeholders to support IHVN’s public health interventions at the central, facility and community levels.
The role of the GIS /Data visualization Expert will be to utilize available data and analytics tools to tell stories and promote data use at all levels, develop GIS products that will support program implementation.
GIS/ Data Visualization Expert
Central (Abuja), Rivers State
Monitoring and Evaluation Lead
Opening Date: 7th January 2022
Closing Date: 21st January 2022
The job requires a highly skilled individual with skills and experience in telling stories with data, utilizing available tools ranging from GIS tools to data visualization tools to promote data use. The GIS expert/ Data visualization expert will be responsible for application of geographic information systems on the ACHIEVE project including relevant aspects of research design, support in designing data collection tools, ensuring (spatial) data quality, geo-spatial and remote sensing analysis, drafting of maps, and production of web maps and information management systems.
The Program Officer is to ensure data quality, adhere to best practices in data collection, collation, reporting and use in different levels. S/he will perform complex data analytics utilizing Microsoft Excel, POWER BI, TABLEAU, STATA, GIS, Infographics and/or Business Intelligence tools and make recommendations based on findings. The Program Officer will correctly visualize data using appropriate charts and develop PowerPoint presentation using appropriate infographics. S/he will promote health system strengthening activities at all levels, and the use of standard tools and indicators required in the program.
- Support and monitor collection, collation, analysis, reporting and use of data.
- Support in designing data collection tools, ensuring (spatial) data quality, geo-spatial analysis, drafting of maps, and production of web maps and information management systems.
- Ensure the drafting of timely and accurate GIS products, which comply with program implementation guidelines on data visualization.
- Perform complex data analytics utilizing Microsoft Excel, TABLEAU, STATA, GIS, and/or Business Intelligence tools and make recommendations based on findings.
- Correctly visualize data using appropriate charts.
- Develop PowerPoint presentations using appropriate infographics.
- Support the routine use of data for decision making at supported states, Local Government Areas (LGAs) and facilities through gap analyses and run charts.
- Participate in the development and periodic review of program reporting protocols
- Participate in developing matrices in line with indicator requirements.
- Ensure data quality through support on data tasks, such as data cleaning and analysis to uphold standards.
- Support the team to generate all program reports including ad-hoc reports, routine program reports and CDC quarterly, semi-annual and annual progress reports.
- Ensure reporting tools, standard monitoring and evaluation indicators are utilized for consistency in measurement.
- Participate in the development of Performance Monitoring Plans and Monitoring & Evaluation.
- Generate regular gap analysis to show program/ state progress towards achieving set targets.
- Put in place proper feedback mechanism to ensure quality of indicator reports.
- Participate in periodic data quality assessments at health facilities we support, generate reports and track implementation of recommendations from the exercise.
- Provide technical guidance on program indicators across all thematic units
- Oversee data reporting on DHIS and NMRS.
- Support use of data for program planning, evaluation, and policy advocacy.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Monitoring and Evaluation Lead.
- A University degree in any of the following or related fields: Medicine, Pharmacy, Natural and Social sciences, Statistics, Public Health and Epidemiology; a master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of three years working experience in relevant GIS role.
- Experience in data collection, analysis and use.
- Experience with HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis programs or related health service programs.
- Experience with the CDC and Global Funds Strategic Information System is highly desirable.
- International Organization or other NGO experience is an asset.
- Proficiency in report writing is key.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation practices, methods, tools and guidelines.
- Good understanding of the PEPFAR MER guidance.
- Ability to perform complex data analytics and visualization utilizing Microsoft Excel, TABLEAU, STATA, GIS, and/or Business Intelligence tools and make recommendations based on findings
- Strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, verbal skills and ability to communicate technical information clearly and effectively to both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Office package applications especially Excel, PowerPoint and Access
- Team player with ability to collaborate effectively and work with minimal supervision
- Have a supportive attitude towards strengthening local partners and building local capacities for self-management
- Be willing to undertake regular field visits and interact with different stakeholders, especially primary stakeholders
- Flexibility, willing to travel and work during weekends
- Excellent coordination skills, time management, and ability to prioritize tasks
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.