The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis(TB) and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The International Research Centre of Excellence (IRCE) was established by Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN) to create an enabling environment which facilitates research activities that bridge international and Nigerian researchers. IRCE promotes public, private partnership for quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa.
IRCE has a number of grants and projects running and the INFORM Africa (Role of Data Streams In Informing Infection Dynamics in Africa) project is one of such projects that brings together a multi sectoral and multidisciplinary group of investigators with complementary expertise in data science and other relevant disciplines, to collectively work on using retrospective public health and routine clinical data on SARS-CoV-2 and HIV; exploring the relationships using national datasets in Nigeria and South Africa.
INFORM Africa is part of a Consortium of projects under the Data Science for Health Discovery and Innovation in Africa (DSI-Africa) Initiative. DSI-Africa Initiative aims to leverage data science technologies to transform biomedical and behavioural research and develop solutions that would lead to improved health for individuals and populations.
The INFORM Africa project will run for 5 years from 2020 – 2025.
|Position (Designation):||Program Officer/ Communications Specialist|
|Reports To:||Research Hub Manager|
|Job Location:||Abuja, International Research Centre of Excellence, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN Campus), Abuja, Nigeria|
Opening Date:10th December 2022
Closing Date: 31st January 2023
We are looking to hire a dedicated communications officer to join our research hub at INFORM Africa. The communications officer will develop and maintain our website, support our internal and external communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity material, respond to inquiries from the public & media, and coordinate promotional events and activities of the INFORM Africa projects.
To succeed as a communications officer, you should be able to think creatively, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
A bachelor’s degree with experience as a communications officer or equivalent experience in a similar role is strongly desired. This position will support the Administrative core of INFORM Africa and will involve working closely with the Research Hub Manager.
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement an effective communication strategy
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, speeches, and other marketing material that communicates the organization’s activities, products and/or services
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the organization (when authorized)
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists and maintain a media database and the project website
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the brand, and coordinate publicity events as required
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics
- Proficiency in design and publishing software
- Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to the research hub manager
- Report challenges to the Research Hub Manager, where necessary
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Strong networking and representational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills in English
- Self-motivated with a strong ability to identify and develop relevant areas of work
- Able to communicate complex issues in a concise, accessible, and engaging manner
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality
- Conversant with the use of Microsoft Office Applications – MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or sciences
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience in a communications/ science communication role
- Evidence of active social media presence
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (e.g., InDesign/Photoshop).
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Good time management and organizational skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms
- Previous experience working in a role that was heavy on communication strategies and website maintenance will be preferred.
- Master’s or higher degree in is an added advantage
Method of Application:
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one-page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected] All applications must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.