The Expanding the Pool of Independent Investigators in Implementation Science in Nigeria through HIV Research training (EXPAND Nigeria) project will focus on Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health (RMNCAH) in the area of HIV and implementation research in Nigeria. We aim to develop a flexible, locally-tailored research curriculum incorporating hard and soft skill-building for postdoctoral early-career investigators to attain research independence and to impart program evaluation and knowledge translation skills to program implementers and policymakers, for high-level impact on RMNCAH gaps in Nigeria’s HIV program. EXPAND Nigeria’s scalable curriculum and mentoring approach address both independent research and programmatic capacity gaps, towards attaining sustainability for HIV research/research funding, and high-level programmatic competencies.
This proposal seeks to bridge the last-mile gap between “capacity-built” and “independent investigator-ship” for Nigerian researchers by consolidating capacity into skills, facilitating academic maturity, and growing professional expertise. Projects through which participants demonstrate their skills will leverage funded studies implemented in Nigeria and led by both local and international faculty mentors. Ultimately, both short-term and long-term trainees will have gained and will apply implementation science-informed knowledge and strengthened skills in programmatic and research leadership positions in Nigeria
Research Training Coordinator
International Research Center of Excellence (IRCE), Institute of Human Virology Nigeria (IHVN), Abuja
Expanding the Pool of Independent Investigators in Implementation Science in Nigeria through HIV Research Training (EXPAND Nigeria)
Opening Date: 20th January, 2022
Closing Date: 3rd February, 2022
The Coordinator will work in close collaboration with the EXPAND multi-Principal Investigators (mPIs), faculty members and rest of the team to provide administrative coordination, curriculum development and technical support for meeting the training grant’s goals described above.
Duties and Responsibilities
The core duties of the Coordinator include, but are not limited to the following:
- Research and Training Administration
Coordinate and contribute to EXPAND curriculum development, implementation and review
- Create and maintain EXPAND course schedules and calendars.
- Participation in team meetings for curriculum development and review, and provide administrative support to other team members as needed.
- Provide technical coordination support to project activities, including:
- Support the drafting, editing, and formatting of course materials, course descriptions, documents, and reports.
- Support evaluation and update of training program.
- Maintain online curriculum and learning tools.
- Support web-based learning, for example by serving in the role of producer for virtual sessions (training provided), sourcing content, e.g. images, videos, and literature based on specific criteria, and other related duties as assigned.
- Support trainees in administrative tasks related to the curriculum and their research projects including Institutional Review Board applications.
- General Administration
- Planning and coordinating EXPAND meetings, workshops and other team events.
- Taking detailed meeting minutes and preparing meeting reports.
- Follow up on action items identified to ensure timeliness of activities.
- Act as the point of contact for internal and external partners.
- Maintain and monitor project plans and schedules.
- Travel Logistics
Coordinate logistics for the team and collaborators on project activities and events, including:
- Arrange travel, hotels, visas and other necessary preparations for travel.
- Maintain up-to-date participant lists, draft communications and send logistics emails, respond to questions, troubleshoot issues, and so on.
- Maintain invoices and receipts related to travel logistics for appropriate financial reporting, payments and reimbursements.
- Budget Management and Financial and Technical Reports
- Work with IHVN grants and contracts and finance department to ensure research grant expenditures are per sponsor and organization regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Maintain accurate records and supporting documents for invoicing and expense tracking.
- Prepare drafts & assist mPIs to complete technical progress and financial reports for funders.
- Prepare ad hoc reports as and when requested.
Experience and Skills Required
- Mature interpersonal and communication skills-will be working with multiple stakeholders of varied backgrounds.
- Strong organizational, speaking and writing skills.
- Strong research training and applied research experience.
- Analytical mindset with problem-solving skills.
- High-level skills in Microsoft Excel functions and developing high quality PowerPoints.
- Research or general administration training and experience.
- Literature search and systematic review skills.
- Nigeria and/or other African country working experience.
An academically-oriented individual with interest in research, research education and research administration with:
- A Masters’ degree (e.g. MPH or MSc in public health, epidemiology, implementation science, or other grant-relevant field).
- At least one year of experience in coordinating a research or research training project, and/or
- Experience in the development of general educational and research curricula.
- Location: The Coordinator will be based at the International Research Center of Excellence, at IHVN headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria, where central EXPAND activities will take place.
- Duration of engagement is for up to five years, contingent upon availability of grant funding
The Research Training Coordinator reports directly to the two EXPAND multi-Principal Investigators. The mPIs will have different grant areas for which they will be primary supervisor.
The International Research Center of Excellence, Institute of Human Virology Nigeria www.ihvn-irce.org
Mode of Application:
- Application letter and detailed curriculum vitae in Microsoft word format should be forwarded to the Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
- When applying, kindly indicate location being applied for at the top right corner of application
This advert closes 14 days from date of this publication and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.