The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
IHVN, through funding from The Global Fund (GF), will be implementing the Grant Cycle 7 (GC7) grant, a combined TB &HIV effort pivotal to transforming TB and HIV programs. Under the leadership and coordination of the National AIDS and STDs Control Programme (NASCP), the National TB and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), and the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), this project will increase the identification of all forms of TB cases in the community and ensure prompt access to high-quality, patient-centred prevention and treatment through a Nationwide coverage of TB Public-Private Mix active TB case finding effort, and Community TB testing. The HIV component of the grant will focus on four states (Ebonyi, Anambra, Kwara, and Gombe) for end-to-end HIV comprehensive services, community PMTCT scale-up in all states, PrEP in the four GF-supported states and in other states where PEPFAR IPs will be operating, and support harm reduction program (specifically needles and syringes) in 12 states. Other focus areas include Health Systems Strengthening/Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) and National level support activities.
To further uphold our commitment to providing excellent services in the sector, we are recruiting to fill the below-listed position:
|Senior Finance Officer
|Central Office/HQ (Abuja)
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
|TB Lead, HIV Lead, Program Management Team
Opening Date: 1st December 2023
Closing Date: 14th December 2023
The Senior Finance Officer (Global Fund) will assist in the Institute-wide management of the Global Fund Operations’ Financial Processes, Reports, Budgeting, and Budget controls, including the preparation of monthly/quarterly management accounts and annual statutory financial statements.
Description and objectives:
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Manager, S/he will work independently to provide direct support to the Global Fund program implementation team and operations on the general management of the Global Funds Grant with particular reference to the finances by coordinating all aspects of financial management including but not limited to routine financial operations, financial reporting, and budgeting, budget controls, administering of finances to sub-recipients, sites and regions. Reviewing monthly financial reports from the regional and state offices for Global Funds also falls under his/her scope of duties.
- Facilitate the implementation of IHVN’s sub-recipient financial management policy for the Global Fund program; ensure that staff understand and are correctly implementing the policy.
- Provide direct technical support in all aspects of finance, compliance, and internal controls for Sub-recipients and sub/sub-recipients.
- Monitor the grant expenditures to ensure that program funds are utilized appropriately by the close of the reporting period.
- Supervise Sage 300 (ACCPAC) data capture and processes daily, ensuring system validation of transactions and other activities.
- Review of monthly financial reports from the regional and state offices for Global Funds grants and ensuring timely disbursements to sites, regional offices, and Sub-Recipients;
- Review quarterly financial reports from the implementing Sub-Recipients under the Global Fund grant and ensure timely resolution/closure of all identified gaps in the SRs’ financial reports.
- Provide financial inputs for budget development, Management policies, travel, and other areas of administration.
- Preparation of monthly Grant Budget/Actual reports with variance analysis and Budget burn rates for review by the Senior Finance Manager and final approval by the Finance and Admin Director
- Prepare the annual Global Fund Special Purpose Grant Financial Statements (SPGFS) for review by GF External auditors.
- Prepare the Institute’s annual year-end reports to be used during the annual statutory year-end audit.
- Maintenance of the general ledger of the accounting software – SAGE 300 (ACCPAC), ensuring monthly reconciliation of all ledgers and sub-ledgers
- Coordinating and ensuring preparation and review of all bank reconciliation statements for all across Regional and State Offices, including the Head office;
- Provide support in coordinating and supervising the financial activities of sub-recipients of The Global Fund grants.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor and Director of Finance & Admin.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work in a team, dynamic, solid, and open;
- Good problem-solver, analytical, creative and innovative. Must be a team builder and adaptable
- Practical knowledge of financial systems, internal financial controls & procedures
- Proficiency in the use of computer applications (Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Good working knowledge of Sage 300 ERP will be an asset;
- Excellent MS Excel skills
- Fluency in written and oral communication;
- Possesses managerial and supervisory skills and should be able to multitask.
- S/He should also be prepared for occasional travelling outside their base in Abuja.
- Excellent knowledge and experience in the budgeting process.
Education and Experience:
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a Higher National Diploma in Accountancy and a full Professional Accounting qualification of either ACA, ACCA, or CPA is required
- Minimum of 8 years of hands-on, comparable professional experience that covers audit, finance and accounting services, and financial management.
- At least four years prior work experience in the provision of advisory services and compliance with The Global Fund guidelines. Also, a sound knowledge of the Global Fund’s core guidelines for grant budgeting and financial reporting is mandatory.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Mode of Application:
Please submit your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae as one Microsoft Word document with the position applied for and location well captured as the subject of the email to the Assistant Director, Human Resources, through this email address: [email protected].