The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis, and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
The Institute of Human Virology, Nigeria (IHVN), through funding from The Global Fund (GF), will be implementing the Grant Cycle 7 (GC7) grant, a combined TB &HIV effort pivotal to transforming TB & HIV programs. Under the leadership and coordination of the National AIDS and STDs Control Programme (NASCP), the National TB and Leprosy Control Programme (NTBLCP), and the National Agency for the Control of AIDS (NACA), this Project will increase the identification of all forms of TB cases in the community and ensure prompt access to high-quality, patient-centred prevention and treatment through a Nationwide coverage of TB Public-Private Mix active TB case finding effort, and Community TB testing. The HIV component of the grant will focus on four states (Ebonyi, Anambra, Kwara, and Gombe) for end-to-end HIV comprehensive services, community PMTCT scale-up in all states, PrEP in the four GF-supported states and in other states where PEPFAR IPs will be operating, and support harm reduction program (specifically needles and syringes) in 12 states. Other focus areas include Health Systems Strengthening/Resilient and Sustainable Systems for Health (RSSH) and National level support activities.
To further uphold our commitment to providing excellent services in the sector, we are recruiting to fill the below-listed position:
|Senior Manager, Pharmacy Supply Chain Management (GF-PCU)
|Central Office/HQ, FCT
|Scheduled Work Time
|Monday – Friday (Flexibility, willing to travel and work weekends)
|HIV lead, TB lead, Program Management Team, Project Director.
Opening Date: 1st December 2023
Closing Date: 14th December 2023
Under the supervision of the AD-PSCM, the Senior Manager-PSCM will provide technical, strategic advice and programmatic direction for the capacity building of government agencies in developing and implementing the grant’s logistics and supply chain aspects.
Description and objectives:
Under the supervision of the AD-PSCM, the Senior Manager will work with the AD in the implementation of all pharmacy and supply chain activities under the grant. S/He will ensure
Internal capacity among the various departments, implementing agencies (IAs) and all government tiers in all procurement and supply management aspects, including health products management. S/he will provide technical support and leadership to Nigeria’s efforts to strengthen the supply chain process to reduce stock-outs, lower costs, and eliminate wastage and expiries.
- Work with the Assistant Director-PSCM to provide technical assistance to management, Implementing Agencies and the Government of Nigeria (GON) on the most efficient and cost-effective distribution channels for health commodities (i.e., medicines, laboratory reagents, rapid test kits and other medical supplies and consumables), procurement processes and warehousing while ensuring accountability of operations.
- Provide guidance and remain accountable for implementing and monitoring the health product management template.
- Collaborate with the GF warehousing & distribution services service provider and the Procurement Service Agents to manage PPM shipments, including Customs/Port clearance up to delivery to the warehouses.
- Coordinate with regulatory authorities to ensure that necessary waivers and authorizations are secured for the seamless shipment of imported health products on behalf of the Project.
- To ensure compliance with standard practices, provide technical coordination in health products management, including procurement, warehousing and distribution, and quality assurance.
- S/he will develop a cost-effective system for cold and dry storage of health products based on good storage practices and evidence-based principles and in keeping with good quality assurance standards.
- Conduct periodic visits to the Country’s Central and Axial warehouses to follow up on all warehouse-related matters such as commodity tracking, physical stock verification and rapid warehouse assessment and generate reports to management and other stakeholders.
- Work with other thematic leads, e.g. Strategic Information, Prevention, Care and Treatment, Clinical Laboratory Services, etc., to improve commodities management and reporting.
- Coordinate policies and procedures; establish and maintain standards to ensure accurate order placement, shipment tracking, and timely delivery of health products; direct and control receipt of orders and release to warehouse; create order management plans for key customers and distributors.
- Maintain the logistics management information system (manual and electronic) for the entire health products supply chain, including HIV medicines, laboratory reagents, laboratory supplies, medical laboratory consumables, Harm Reduction commodities and rapid diagnostics test kits.
- Compile, analyze, and monitor performance indicators for all commodities in the procurement and supply management system.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Demonstrated coaching and mentoring ability.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with people of different backgrounds.
- Good communication (oral and written) and facilitation skills.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office – (Word, Spreadsheet, and PowerPoint), HPMT, other applicable software, and video conferencing are required.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret data and prepare quality program reports.
- Considerable knowledge of general health and development programs in developing countries and Nigeria.
- Sound understanding of inventory control systems.
- Experience must include managing health commodity logistics information systems, including forecasting/quantification.
- Be familiar with developing PSM indicators and issues surrounding monitoring and evaluation of the PSM.
- Familiarity with technical and health management approaches relevant to the work of the National AIDS & STI Control, National TB Control Programs, National Malaria Control Program and RH, especially at the state, LGA and community levels.
- Knowledge of the fundamental principles and approaches to Health systems strengthening.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding HIV programs.
- Ability to evaluate the relevance of data or information and work with staff to resolve differences in interpretation of information.
- Ability to manage multiple projects at the same time, with minimal supervision and under pressure of tight deadlines.
- Sound knowledge and experience regarding M&E, statistics and quality assurance/quality improvement and their specificities for developing countries.
- Ability to represent the project to donors, government officials and the NGO community.
- Ability to manage tight deadlines and deliver high volumes of work with minimal supervision.
- Well-developed computer skills.
Education and Experience:
- A degree in B.Pharm/Pharm D, or MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with more than five years post National Youth Service experience with at least three years progressive experience in managing a PSM cycle, including rational health commodities selection, forecasting/quantification, quality assurance spanning the PSM cycle, warehousing/storage, distribution, and LMIS.
- S/He must have at least five years’ experience in supply chain management of TB, HIV/AIDS medicines and commodities.
- Familiarity with the Nigerian public sector health system, NGOs, and CBOs is highly desirable.
- A Postgraduate qualification/Masters level training in Public Health will be an advantage.
- Registered with the Pharmacist Council of Nigeria and have evidence of current practising license.
- Must be familiar with the NHLMIS platform and monitoring and interpreting supply chain indicators.
- Knowledgeable on Pharmacovigilance and the available reporting channels.
- Experience in the provision of LMIS and Pharmaceutical care training.
- Must have at least five years’ experience with program planning, assessment, and implementation of HIV programs.
- Previous experience in HIV-related operational research is an advantage.
- Good knowledge of current trends and normative guidance (national and international) in HIV clinical care and service delivery.
Equal employment opportunity statement:
IHVN is an equal employment employer. We do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on religion, gender, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, genetic information, or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable laws.
Mode of Application:
Please submit your application letter and detailed curriculum vitae as one Microsoft Word document with the position applied for and location well captured as the subject of the email to the Assistant Director, Human Resources, through this email address: [email protected].