The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer through the provision of prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
To support quality and prompt service delivery in IHVN supported sites. IHVN is sourcing for suitably qualified young and dynamic Medical Laboratory Scientists to fill the position of Senior Program Officer and Program Assistants for the USAID Tuberculosis Local Organization Network (TB-LON).
Job Title: Senior Program Officer
Department: Clinical Laboratory Services
Job Location: Lagos
OPENING DATE: 29th April 2020
CLOSING DATE: 12th May 2020
S/He would perform the following-
- Accountable for the performance of the laboratory activities of the TB LON project
- Provide technical guidance to State Laboratory Officers in the four states of implementation. This will ensure that the facility and community implementers provides quality TB laboratory services (diagnostic and patient monitoring) in each of the four states
- Provide technical support to strengthen the operationalization of the laboratory Strategic framework as defined by the National TB Programme in collaboration with other relevant stakeholders
- Develops and implements policies, procedures, checklists, TB manuals and performance standards designed to ensure efficient laboratory operations
- Coordinates and integrates laboratory activities with those of other subdivisions and with other state agencies conducting programs that require support from the clinical laboratories
- Provide appropriate technical support to the State Quality Assurance Officers (QAOs) in the supported states
- Liaise with the State TB and Leprosy Control Program (STBLCP), State Laboratory Officer (SLO) to understand and ensure smooth running of laboratory activities in the states.
- Promoting interaction and collaboration with laboratory stakeholders at national, zonal and state levels by serving on national Laboratory Technical Working Groups (TWG)
- Supporting the development of mechanism on establishing linkages between the National Reference Laboratories, Zonal Reference Laboratories, State Reference Laboratories, Peripheral (microscopy & GeneXpert) laboratories with a view to ensuring linked referral services and timely reporting.
- Collate and review state reports (site visits, monthly/quarterly narrative, data, mentoring and supervision, etc.)
- Send LON laboratory reports to the Central Office timely
- Ensure that TB laboratory challenges are flagged and followed up for prompt interventions
- Communicate and maintain effective communication with the Central Office
- Ensure Optimal Laboratory performance (equipment efficiency and maintenance, optimal EQA performance, no service interruptions, adequate stock level, timely lab testing, timely results dispatch, timely and complete reporting etc.)
- Participate in TB laboratories assessments, TB panels preparation and administration for basic and advanced tests
- Participate in review of sites TB EQA panel reports
- Participate in design of TB Laboratories
- Activation of GeneXpert and AFB smear microscopy laboratories
- Participate in setting up and coordinating a continuous quality improvement plan for the TB Laboratories
- Ensure that GLP is implemented and monitored in supported TB laboratories
- Representation at local, national and international meetings
- Participate in onsite data validation exercises with state programs, GeneXpert sites, AFB Smear Microscopy laboratories and DOTs centers.
- Key into the state monthly/quarterly work plan
- Work closely with the necessary stakeholders to ensure samples are moved to the testing laboratories promptly and ensures prompt results retrieval
- Track investigation results from responsible laboratories to ensure that they are sent back to the state TB program or treatment centers within the turnaround time.
- Work closely with STBLCP and ensures that DR-TB patients lab results are in the patient folders
- Liaise with other relevant Lab staff to oversee the follow up investigations for all DR TB patients in DR TB treatment centers, ambulatory Phase and community initiation (including baseline DST for patients) and patients in the continuation phase across the country.
- Ensure that laboratory National data capturing (recording and reporting) tools are available, properly and completely filled
- Ensure that electronic Lab Management Information systems are functional and are up-to- at all level (States, Treatment centers and laboratories)
- Carry out data triangulation across all thematic units
- Maintain and update professional knowledge and take responsibility for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- Assist in coordinating TB related research and training activities that will require the use of the laboratory facilities
- Perform every other duty necessary for the successful implementation of laboratory activities of IHVN
The Senior Program Officer will report to Clinical Laboratory Services Department (Program Manager, Senior Manager, Associate Director and Director), Technical Director and Chief of Party, TB LON Project, IHVN
- A degree in Medical Laboratory Science registrable with MLSCN. A master’s degree in relevant sub-specialty will be an advantage
- Licensed Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Age- Between 30-40 years of age
- Minimum of 7 years’ working experience in the TB Program
- Work experience in a TB Reference Laboratory is required
- Experience working with donor funders (PEPFAR & GF)
- Must possess good program management experience
- Should be reliable, proactive and visionary
- Must be creative in program design/planning and implementation towards achieving set goals
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent analytical, planning and organizational skills.
- Must possess good interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with diagnostic laboratory.
- Maintain confidentiality of patients, patient results and project operations.
- Must have experience in basic and advanced TB diagnostics
- Must be creative, proactive and be able to work with minimal supervision.
- Must be willing to learn new skills.
- Excellent computer skills
- Excellent communication skills (written/verbal) in English.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Assistant Director, Human Resources through this email address: [email protected]
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.