The Institute of Human Virology (IHVN) is a leading and reputable non-governmental organization addressing infectious and non-infectious diseases such as HIV, tuberculosis and cancer. IHVN provides prevention, diagnosis, treatment, capacity building, research, and care and support services. IHVN is in partnership with local and international organizations and the different tiers of the government of Nigeria at national, state and local levels. The Institute’s vision is to be a leader in providing quality health services, capacity building and research in West Africa and beyond.
IHVN through its International Research Center of Excellence (IRCE) is conducting the Caregiver Peer Support (CaPS) research study, funded by Collaborative Initiative for Pediatric HIV Education and Research (CIPHER). This study is to test the impact of structured caregiver peer support to improve adherence and promote achievement of viral suppression among unsuppressed children (0-10 years) living with HIV in Nigeria. To implement this study, IHVN is seeking for qualified candidates for the following position:
Research Data Manager
Opening Date: 11th January, 2021.
Closing Date: 25th January, 2021.
The Research Data Manager will be responsible for the coordination of study data collection and collation, CaPS research database management and study data analysis and reporting.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
The duties of the Data Manager include:
- Adapting and designing study data collection tools.
- Deploying and distributing study data tools.
- Designing of a research database platform which is relevant to the study and captures all indicators and outcome measures.
- Ensuring that incoming data from study sites is collected and entered into study database in a timely manner.
- Performing routine data quality checks, data gap analyses, and data backup.
- Preparing scheduled and ad hoc data reports as requested by the Principal Investigator.
- Attending training sessions and study meetings as required.
- Training research staff on proper use of data collection tools.
- Carrying out research database management.
- Handling qualitative data coding and analysis.
- Archiving and storing of all study data files.
- Any other duties as directed by the Principal Investigator.
Experience and Skills
- Mature interpersonal and communication skills; ability to integrate into the team and maturely manage interpersonal conflict and personality differences is important.
- An analytical mindset with problem-solving skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to absorb new tasks as they arise and are assigned.
- Participation in research study or any HIV intervention supported by PEPFAR or other related donors is an advantage.
- Bachelors’ or Masters’ degree in statistics, epidemiology, public health information management or related fields.
- Two years’ experience in data management in HIV programming and/or research project.
- Proven proficiency in statistical (eg STATA, SAS, SPSS, and/or R) and Microsoft packages (particularly Excel and Access).
- Ability to generate data tables, charts, graphs will be a key requirement.
Original project period for the CaPS study is for two years (December 2019 to November 2021) with planned extension of timeline due to COVID-19 delays.
- The successful applicant will be hired on an initial six month trial period which can be terminated if performance is deemed unsatisfactory.
- If six month trial period is satisfactory, successful applicant will be retained on contract, renewable every 6 months for the duration of the study and while funding is available.
- Must be a resident in the state of work, ie Federal Capital Territory/Abuja.
Data manager reports directly to the Principal Investigator.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a detailed resume and a one page cover letter as one MS Word document explaining suitability for the position to Deputy Director, Human Resources through this email address: email@example.com
Application must explicitly state the position applied for in the subject of the email. Candidates are advised to provide three professional referees with email addresses and phone numbers. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about the (CaPS) study, go to,
The International Research Center of Excellence (IRCE), Institute of Human Virology Nigeria www.ihvn-irce.org
CIPHER Grant page for CaPS Study: https://www.iasociety.org/HIV-Programmes/Programmes/Paediatrics-CIPHER/CIPHER-Grant-Programme/Grantees-Jasper
ClinicalTrials.gov site for the CaPS study https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04222270